Monday, February 8, 2010

Staying True

"And then there's the simple truth that I had come to understand and that I wanted to model for my four kids: What matters most is how you live your life, NOT WHAT YOU HAVE TO SHOW FOR IT. I ask myself if I have tried my best to love my family, to improve my character, to make a positive impact on the world in some small way. I know who I love and I know who loves me, and if I have made a positive impression on others, that's great. But if someone out there doesn't like me.....then that's okay with me too. I had come to understand it then, and I live by it still today: at the end of the day, I need to be happy with myself and my own behavior in light of the person I know I can be and in light of the person I want to be in the eyes of our Lord, the ultimate judge, the only one who matters."

"At every step along her journey, Jenny Sanford has made choice: She gave up her career, moved far from her home state of Illinois, even changed her religious practices. Every choice was a glad concession to harmonious married life and, in some cases, to the support of her husband's politic aspirations. But the one thing she never gave up was her sense of self, her inner moral compass. Her remarkable poise and decency make her a role model for men and women alike. Her story will empower anyone who has fought to maintain independence and integrity within a marriage."

She was successful in her own right before she gave it all up and moved across the country to be a supportive wife and mother. I bought Jenny Sanford's book today and just from what I read inside the cover, I already know I will enjoy the contents and feel safe recommending it to anyone going through or about to go through a divorce. It will reinforce the premise that in all the turmoil, you must remain true to who you are and maintain your heading with your own moral compass.

No comments:

Post a Comment